Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 35 - The Book Is Open

Well, we think we're ready - if you can ever say that. We had the cot delivered last weekend, and thanks to Titus & Lisa all the linen too. We have also received the stroller, the bouncer and carrier from Bumps to Babes, and a vast amount of clothing and wraps from friends and family. So now the baby's room looks like this:
My bag is mostly packed, I've read as much as I'm going to on birth - I don't think anything else is going to make it easier, less painful or short so I moved onto reading about what we do once we have the baby home. Now that was far scarier - but we will muddle through and I'm sure leave the same scars on our kid as every parent has done before. Now it's time for some good fiction while I still can!

Trent has been enjoying the rugby (Wallabies were lucky to win today, lets hope they can remember the basics for next week), but he hasn't forgotten that his ever expanding wife needs an eye kept on her too. I have been appreciating his efforts carrying shopping, opening doors, belly rubs, air conditioner management, and gentle reminders to be contactable now. They all help in keeping me on track, rested and feeling loved which is important, given I'm starting to feel heavy, am even more forgetful, and run out of puff with the slightest incline.

On the work front, there are two more weeks to go for me, and yes I'm in count down mode. My cover will start on Wednesday this week, so hoping that 6 days will be enough to download to her so she can step in smoothly for the team. Have been putting together her orientation plan and transition notes to try to translate all that random information in my head into a form that she can refer back to when it doesn't make sense. Not sure it will work but I'll give it a royal go anyway, and then wish her the very best with the aim of not thinking about it again until the end of April next year!

We've completed all our compulsory classes, unfortunately the pushing techniques was mostly useless too, and the photo of the epistemology left us both mentally scarred - no one should ever have to look at that procedure unless you have to perform one! Thankfully, the breastfeeding class was much more useful for me, with many tips and straightforward explanations about how things work, common issues and suggestions for fixing problems. My theory is that classes run from the QMH itself are worthwhile, classes outsourced to different clinics are not. The last class we're doing (if the baby cooperates on the timing front) is a First Aid for babies - if the bump is early then we'll miss out but can reschedule to a later date. Edna will also be doing a refresher the next two weekends on infant CPR, burns, cuts etc as she's got a nursing diploma and has done First Aid before, so at least there will be one person in the place who knows what to do.

On a separate note, there are many of you who have a hunch about what the bump's sex is. To aid these predictions, we thought we'd open up a virtual book for you to put your monopoly money where your mouth is - click The Baby Book and answer the questions - Sex; DOB & Weight - to go on record. Once the little one has arrived we'll let you know who was closest to the trifecta and can claim virtual glory.

Anyway, enough from me, its time to sort out play lists on the iPhone - QMH has short visiting hours and loud canto-soaps.
Lots of love as always,
Nik & Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment