I'm being facetious, but last week's QMH course was pretty much a waste of time. We're hoping that this week's "Pushing Techniques" will be a little more useful. Last week's course was on Comfort Measures - and while I'm all for le naturale option, this was taking the piss. We had 2 1/2 hours of mostly listen to how to do these measures, with some chance to trial them thrown in when we all began to nod off. The practice involved positioning me: 1) kneeling with my head on a cushion and my bottom in the air, 2) standing up bent over a reasonably high bench (more cushions), and 3) lastly while sitting backwards on a chair (there is a special "safe" technique to this manoeuver, and you guessed it with more cushions). We were also taught the 3 levels of breathing to help us manage the 3 levels of pain - the third level ended with me nearly hypo-ventilating because I wasn't allowed to make any noise (maybe this is the purpose?). Apparently Trent is going to tell me (without using the word pain) when I should move from level 1 breathing to level 2 and onto level 3, and back down again during the "intense pain contractions". Oh and I must remember that screaming/ shouting won't help me so not to do it - they obviously haven't read Juju's Birth Skills book, nor met a good Aussie chick when she's excited/ in pain/ rather uncomfortable!
We also had our second private antenatal class which was all about pain relief of the medicinal kind; inductions; and c-sections, with a couple of videos thrown in for good measure. There is a significant difference with the class being run by a native English speaker, even purely from an entertainment standpoint. Although I did find some of this class a little more confronting (why anyone would want to put a needle that size into their back is beyond me... I know, I know, it'll change when I get there - but it freaks me out more than the idea of childbirth at this point). Our final class with Yvonne is also this coming week on baby care, which has become much more of a focus for me - I feel like I understand what birth is going to be (I know I can't truly understand the pain involved until I get there, but at least I know what is technically going to happen), now its far more concerning about what happens after.
And in aid of feeling like I know what I'm doing, it was with a little bit of a heart flutter that I put through the first two loads of baby washing yesterday. It's really going to turn up soon!!! And I feel a tiny step closer to being able to welcome it like a proper mum. When the cot turns up in the next couple of weeks, we'll post proper photos of The Bump's room, but for the mean time, here's the washing on the line as a taster.
Lots of love,
xx
Nik & Trent
No comments:
Post a Comment