Monday, June 13, 2011

Wow that's been a long week - Week 18

Ok, so its more like 3 weeks and it has been jam packed. Trent has done a stellar job of organising and arranging house requirements (thank you!!) - the IKEA wardrobe is installed; the gas, electricity, internet and other useful utilities are all on and in our name; the oven and the new cupboard door have been installed ; and much of HK's furniture stores have been tramped through in the name of shopping for a bed, dining suite & other useful paraphernalia - all things that Trent has kindly and efficiently taken care of while I've been swanning around (well not complete true but he has definitely done the lion's share).
So what have I been up to? Well, I did help on the initial sourcing of IKEA wardrobes & bed search, but I also went to Australia for work to deliver 4 programs in sunny Sydney (what have you all been whinging about?);
attend a 2 day conference; and definitely for my benefit to see family & friends. By the way, if anyone tells you Australia is this wonderful place to be healthy in, don't believe them - the instant I landed I was down with another cold and its only just lifted now I'm back in HK!! It could be the 15 degree temperature difference, or burning the candle at both ends, but I reckon is had to be something else - nasty Australians... ;-)
Anyway, it was lovely to be back in Oz, the weather was kind to me and it was great to catch up with everyone. It was also spectacular to see the Sydney Viv'd festival of lights, etc - some seriously cool things on the harbour.

The programs went really well, its the first time we've been invited to run sessions in Oz so it was important they were well received. Two of the programs were brand new and will be rolled out this year across APAC, which is always a little nerve-racking but also quite satisfying when they work. The Aussie audience is somewhat different to the rest of Asia so we have some tweaking to do to the materials but overall they were a success. And the view from the boardroom which we'd commandeered for training was just spectacular and didn't disappoint on a single day.
The AHRI National Convention was a gathering of 1300 HR professionals to listen & discuss with world class speakers relevant topics for our specialisations, and although there wasn't a lot specific to L&D, it was still very useful from a macro perspective of what are we trying to achieve. Some fabulous speakers, Dr Kjell Nordstrom from Stockholm School of Economics opened and was fascinating to listen to (covered macro trends in the world and the impact on organisations from a people perspective), we had Dr Jane Goodall & Andrew O'Keeffe discuss 50 years of research into Chimp behaviour, what we can learn about human behaviour and what this means for organisational dynamics; and to close, Li Cunxin, author of Mao's Last Dancer shared his amazing life story and the lesson he thought were relevant to others. There were loads of other inspiring speakers too, if you're interested you can check out more at www.ahri.com.au (some of you may recognise the MC).
I also had a lovely weekend with family, thank you Anke, Dush, Fay & Michael for making the trip down to see me, it was great to spend some time with you. It really is the time we realise how far away HK is. Thank you for being understanding and flexible. Thanks Frouke for putting up with me, I mean putting me up again; Kyrs for the delicious pizzas; and Vanessa for organising a top spot for the clans to come together to catch up!
Anke, Dush & Frouke kindly came maternity wear and baby gear shopping last Saturday but much to our (well my) disappointment it was nearly impossible to find maternity wear - not only did Parramatta Westfields not have a single maternity shop but the ranges in Target, Myers, David Jones and Pumpkin Patch were shite - unless you want to abandon your career prior to the baby's arrival, you were up the proverbial creek unless you're happy wearing the very casual clothing available. Thankfully Karin suggested a shop (Just Maternity) in Piccadilly Arcade on Pitt St that came through with the goods - when I mentioned to them that it had been really hard to find things they said they're one of the few around because lots of women don't want to spend the money and just keep wearing their usual gear (clearly I'm not usual, and already feel uncomfortable in my trousers so decided to purchase a couple of things to supplement Anne-Marie's fab collection).
Luckily we had more success on the baby gear front and were able to check out prams, play mats, baby wraps etc, and pick up a couple of oh sooo cute jumpsuits for when the bub arrives - Dush was in her element and it really was great to be able to share it with her properly.

So that was the Oz trip - we have also had the pleasure of Sarah passing through HK on her way back to the UK so we've been doing a few fun things to show her what life here can offer. Lunch at the Peninsula;

pedicure at Iyara; dinner at Olive; dim sum at City Hall; walk from the Peak to Kennedy Town - life is tough! Albeit, a bit sweaty in 30+ degrees and 90-odd % humidity - but Sunday turned on an spectacular view from the Peak.
That is pretty much it from me, the baby update is not very impressive or interesting at the moment, I feel slightly heavier, my trousers are a little uncomfortable, most people are disappointed with my bump - I was going to include a photo but our computer has decided it does not accept anything that can't be emailed which is somewhat challenging from a SLR camera. I haven't felt the bub yet, I'm feeling good (except for the Australian cold), and Trent & I are looking forward to moving in next week to the new place. Will update with photos, and addresses soon!
Lots of love,
Nik & Trent
ps this is the photo that wouldn't upload last week

No comments:

Post a Comment