Sunday, December 18, 2011

6 weeks old - Routine

So this week marked the beginning of 'normalcy' with Trent back to work, relatives safely back home, and me looking after Zach. Zach is 6 weeks this week, which according to the multiple baby literature sources I've been consuming is about the point you can start to settle a baby into a routine (some say even earlier, but given I've been having trouble remembering when I last fed him it wasn't going to happen).

Trent may have made comments previously that I have a tendency to try to organise things, so you can understand that this advice appealed to my nature. Now before you jump in with comments about "good luck", "its crazy to think you can organise a baby" etc, I want to assure you that the Gina Ford regime is a bit too hard core even for me - there just seemed to be one too many "you must do this by this time, otherwise..." statements which seem completely unrealistic. I know there are those of you who swear by her advice, and if she works for you - well and good, but it was just going to stress me out. I've also read "The Baby Whisperer" which is a little more relaxed about things "routine rather than schedule" so I've been following the essence of E.A.S.Y - E - eat; A - activity (includes changes, baths, burping, and maybe some play mat or dad lap time); S - sleep; Y - You time. Basically, you just repeat this over and over all day and it mostly seems to work. So for now, we're going with it.

We also went back to Annerley, the Mothers & Babies group for some mum catch up, a weight & height check and some advice on Zach's windy condition - as those of you on Facebook know, I'd put out a SOS call 2 weeks ago on what to do to help the poor little guy feel more comfortable. He is an unbelievably easy baby, with the exception of when he has wind (it just about breaks my heart because I can see he's in lots of pain). Many of you gave me lots of good suggestions which have worked to differing degrees and largely made me feel a lot better about what I was doing - thank you.

Anyway, coming back to the results, he was 4.99kg, 58cm long and Nurse Donna recommended some homoeopathic liquid to help clear the wind. Now whether it just tastes nice, or there's some special magic in each little tube, I'm a fan and Zach hasn't screamed as much. So we have our fingers crossed that they continue to help him over the coming Christmas/ New Year period where it will be a bit more difficult to get professional advice.

Angel Baby / Windy Baby

Back to Angel Baby - I know which one I prefer!!

Lastly, I had my 6 week check up and was given the all clear, so can go back to exercising as I wish. I'm trying to add in some more walking and will begin to build up to something more strenuous after New Year - I have after all had close to 6 months off now, apart from swimming. Rowers I'll be back after CNY - that's my aim anyway.

So from the Swift clan, a very merry Christmas and hope you have wonderful celebrations to bring in the new year!


lots of love
Nik, Trent & Zachary

No comments:

Post a Comment