Tuesday, February 14, 2012

15 weeks: Reality Bites

So with our Aus trip concluded and HK still pretty grey, these last 2 weeks have brought me swiftly back to reality. Prior to leaving for Oz I had more than half my maternity leave left, and a wonderful holiday back home to look forward to. But its not quite the same now as our lovely helper inadvertently reminds me most days with questions such as "maam, when you go back to work, how will I do the shopping and look after Zach?". Firstly, I don't know how it will all work at that point in time because Zach changes every week; secondly, as I'm sure all the mum's in Aus will say, you'll take him with you (when you do the shopping once a week rather than every day like you do now); and thirdly (and most importantly), I don't want to think about the fact that I'll be back at work in 10 weeks time. I appreciate that Edna is very excited about my rapid departure from her workplace, but I'm not so excited by the prospect.

But unlike me, Zach continues to cruise along - he giggles, gurgles, grunts, squeals, snuffles and drools, and has been exercising his lungs to sound more and more like a little boy.



We've turned him around in the baby bjorn which Zach is thoroughly enjoying, although it does tire him out much faster with all the activity to watch. And he has been on his first HK "hike" with Skye which nearly wiped all of us out, Zach slept peacefully while we huffed and puffed our way back out of the Pok Fu Lam hills behind home!



Zach also seems to be taking well to the newly introduced 4 hourly routine, adapting relatively easily to increase his awake time and sleep times during the day. While there are some challenges to maintaining this with the beginning of the day starting anywhere from 3:30am to 8am, but after that its fairly good. I again thank whoever up there deemed that Trent & I should get such a cool kid!!

So that's us at the moment, next week will increase the pull back to work, so hopefully it helps make it a little more appealing as we sort out how I will make a return to paid employment.

Lots of love
Nik, Trent & Zachary

No comments:

Post a Comment